How to achieve weight loss the sensible way!
Many people in the western world struggle with weight issues. Unhealthy diets combined with a sedentary lifestyle often leads to weight gain and resultant health problems. Heart disease and childhood obesity are at an all time high, so it is hardly surprising that fad diets are big business
Unfortunately, weight loss is not as simple as buying in to some celebrity endorsed fad diet. Many fad diets promise instant weight loss and some of them actually do work in the short term, but losing weight in such a fashion is not sustainable in the long term. Once you revert to your normal diet, you will inevitably put some, if not all, of the weight back on.
I need to lose weight-what should I look at first?
The only you can lose weight and actually KEEP it off, is by changing your lifestyle and dietary habits permanently. Weight loss is a simple equation: if you burn up more calories than you are eating, you will lose weight. It really is that simple.
In the first instance, you need to take a good, hard look at your diet. Chances are you are deluding yourself about how much and what rubbish you really eat. Keep a food diary for at least a week. Write down every single thing you eat and drink. Do not be tempted to cheat by omitting to include the burger and coke you sneaked in after work one night. You are only cheating yourself!
Well I wrote everything down and it looks bad...
Now you have admitted to yourself that you have an addiction to burgers and chicken vindaloo, you need to rethink your whole diet. Work out what the trigger points for bad eating habits are. It might be that you work long hours and you skip breakfast, eat nothing all day, and then binge on take out late at night. You need to plan for 3 healthy meals per day.
1. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Make sure you eat at least something, even if it is only some fruit.
2. If liquid lunches are your weak point, get into the habit of taking a healthy sandwich or salad to work. That way, you will not be tempted into ordering pie and chips down the pub.
3. Try and plan a low fat, healthy evening meal.
4. Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as you can.
5. Drink lots of water. It will help control your appetite.
6. Allow yourself a few treats. Chocolate is good for you in small amounts, as is wine. Just try not to go overboard!
My diet is now much healthier, but I still need to lose some more weight!
If you are very obese to begin with, changing to a healthy diet will usually see significant weight loss initially. However, you might find that you reach a particular point and then struggle to lose any more.
Exercise is the key!
By combining gentle exercise with a healthy diet, you will be able to reach your weight loss target. You do not have to embark on a marathon training programme-not unless you want to!-but exercising at least 3 times per week, will make a big difference to your weight loss programme.
What type of exercise is good for me?
1. Walking is great for those who have not exercised for years. Instead of driving everywhere, try parking further away from the office and walking the last mile. Not only will you burn some extra calories, your backside and legs will tone up nicely.
2. Try a class, for example Pilates or yoga. They are great for posture and gentle exercise.
3. Cycling is great exercise. It is also great fun!
4. Swimming is good for you. If you hate swimming, try an aqua exercise class.
If you are determined and motivated, you will be able to achieve your weight loss goals. By doing it sensibly, your weight loss will be sustainable and you will be far less likely to pile the weight back on a few months down the line. You CAN lose weight sensibly by following these simple tips!